Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A New Tradition

I love the holidays. I pulled out the Christmas music already because the girls need to learn it now so they can sing it during Christmas time. Right? I usually try to wait until after Thanksgiving to start Christmas. The Friday after Thanksgiving is kind of a holy day to me.

I am a sucker for traditions, and as a family we don't have real traditions for Thanksgiving. This year I'm starting a new one. Today we threw together a Thankful Thoughts board. (I tried to think of something with the letter G to go with Gratitude, but came up empty.) I had an old rectangle of styrofoam from something. I covered it with some orange fabric and hung it on the wall. (The placement looks really stupid, but I wanted it where we would look at it all the time.) On little pieces of card stock, I wrote some things we are thankful for and pinned them to the board. We will add to it all this month, and at Thanksgiving dinner we can pull them all off and read them out loud.

So far, the things we are thankful for are:

"The Garage" -Charity
"All my tigers at the zoo" -Nola
"Mommy's boobies" -Violet

Nola thought Violet was thankful for the baby tigers at the zoo. I figured my guess was a little closer to accurate. It's a bittersweet thought because I am weaning her this month. Shhhh. Don't tell her. I'm trying to slowly cut her off without making a big deal about it.

When Ryan got home, I showed him the board and he immediately tried to add his name to Violet's thankful card. I reminded him that the things he's thankful for must be able to be read OUT LOUD to everyone at Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, I just told you that story.

Do you have any Thanksgiving traditions?

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are reading Violet's card out loud at Thanksgiving dinner even without the PS from Ryan. You are brave :) And very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing laughing laughing. And loving this idea...totally going to steal it! I have been looking for a way to get the boys to be more thankful and not so totally "me me me!" This will help. Probably only a little...but I will take a little! Thank you Charity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, I was going to change this post for the TMI, but Ryan said it was funny so I should keep it. Eliza, steal away! That's why I post here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if we don't put it on a card or tell it in a blog, everyone's (healthy) family has the same conversations. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ruth. I feel much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charity, thanks for always being honest even if you feel it is TMI. Don't worry I am weaning Jonathan this month and I haven't told him yet, although he is handling it rather well. However, it is bittersweet because it means my little man is not so little anymore.
    Keep up with the blogging!
    Beth Fajkus Oberbeck

    ReplyDelete