Friday, February 11, 2011

Picture-free Potty Post

Remember when I said I wanted this teeny tiny newborn potty? I didn't end up getting it. But it turns out, I didn't really need it! We've been taking Violet potty since she was around two weeks or so. (I say "we" quite honestly. Although I take her much more often than Ry, he does take her when I ask and doesn't think I'm crazy for doing it. What a dad, right?) Turns out, it's easy to just take Violet on the big potty. This post is picture-free because I decided telling you about taking her potty is one thing, but posting a picture of it could be slightly mortifying for all of us. Here's how we do it. We hold her facing out, put our hands right under her thighs so she's in a squatting position, then we sit with her, backwards, on the toilet. She's kind of dropped between our legs a little. Can you picture it? I hope so because you're not getting an actual picture. You should have heard Ryan's sister laugh when she saw him do it the other night! It is pretty crazy looking.

So does Violet go? Yes. Number one and number two. But not every time we take her. She is still making good use of her diapers like a healthy little girl should. The most successful trips to the potty are when she has just woken up and when she has just nursed. I do take her in public places if there is a place to change her in the stall. If not, I'm kind of stuck. I have to be able to corral Nola in there, as well. So it just depends on the situation.

It'll be interesting to see how infant pottying goes this time around. I still enjoy the process. I don't know why exactly...It's a weird way to bond with your baby, but it does make me feel closer to her and more "in tune with her needs", if you will.

Still curious? Google elimination communication.

7 comments:

  1. I'm gonna need a picture. Definitely.

    Also, I love you as a mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It still boggles my mind how this works but it does work. Wish I knew about it sooner when the grandkids were being potty trained. You go, girl! (Literally and figuratively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seren, you're so encouraging. Lollie, I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help with traditional potty training! Infant pottying is just so different. And, it's not magic. Nola still pees her pants. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is why we spend lots of time praying when picking a husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charity, I do have to agree with Seren!! I love your blogs about being a mom and trust me I am taking notes and plan to contact you when I become a mommy bcuz I absolutely LOVE your outlook on being a mom and your tactics are amazing!!! keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your children are so blessed to have you guys as parents. Have I told you that before? I love your devotion to elimination communication. (even if your brother thinks you've become a hippie.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I plan to do this too. Hubby just doesn't know it yet

    ReplyDelete