Saturday, February 19, 2011

Name Calling


In preface to this post you need to know that my name is Charity. People who know me well often shorten it to "Char", pronounced like the piece of furniture you sit on. Ryan, my husband, calls me Char pretty much all the time when we're hanging around the house. So....

I left Nola on the potty upstairs recently while I ran down to the basement to flip some laundry. It took me longer to flip than it took her to go. I could hear her yelling, and knew she was yelling to tell me she was done, but couldn't quite make out what she was saying. As I headed up the stairs I finally heard it loud and clear...

"Char?! CHAAAAA-aaaaar! Char!"

I didn't correct her. I just laughed. What did you do the first time your kids called you by your actual name?

9 comments:

  1. She is so cute! I don't remember any of you ever figuring out I had a real name. The closes was when you starting learning to spell and called me M-O-M, M-O-M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a tough one, I don't remember Dave calling me by my name much, it was usually deary or sweetie probably cause my name is so difficult...but I do remember having the conversation with the kids that I was mommy and Dave daddy. They were special names that only they were able to use with us and no one else would be able to call us that Dave never called me mommy either cause that was the kids special name for me. I praised and cherished when they
    called me mommy and ignored them when they tried something else asking them what my name really was and I was ecstatic when they got it right. Welcome to the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing. I just laughed my head off. And rose a banner to their brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is adorable Char!!! I love this post, made me smile ear to ear!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't so funny the first time they do that?
    Incidently, Natalie was going through everyone in our family recently, saying their full names. She knew Jason's, but I didn't think she knew mine, so I asked her.
    "Eleanor ... Pingel Be--" That's about as far as she got before I started laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats cute :) I remember when Kalei called us both by our names and I just thought it was funny but then... She went through a phase when she started calling Josh "babe." I thought that was hilarious!! He didn't and quickly corrected her :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think all if our kids did it. They used to do it at church when... evidently they had been saying "mom" over and over with no response from me. Hearing them call me by name definitely got my attention! By the way...Paul still does it just to tease me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These stories are great! Love it. I need to ask you guys questions more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great story! I guess now you know what she's going to call you when she really wants your attention! I think it was just last year when Boaz was 6 when he was needing to tell someone his parents names and he just looked at me and said, "um mom what is your real name?"

    ReplyDelete