Thursday, February 3, 2011

Project Complete


I tend to admire interior design without applying any of the ideas I see to my own home. Fail.

But, look! I actually completed a project. I've seen this idea in lots of children's rooms online. It's pretty cheap art for a kid's wall. People pull it off lots of different ways. I used a set of ABC flash cards that I LOVE, ribbon, thumb tacks, and clothes pins. For me, it only cost $3. The flash cards were a gift for Nola at Christmas. I had thumbtacks lying around. Clothes' Pins were only $1 and ribbon was only $2. You might already have all these things on hand and it would be free!

All I did was pin the ribbon to the wall and clothes pinned the cards on. Well, actually, I layed it all on the floor to make sure it looked even. Then I stupidly pinned the cards to the ribbon first, and very carefully thumb tacked the ribbon up with the cards already on! The cards seemed like they would be too heavy for just thumb tacks and ribbon, but so far so good. Although it's only been about four hours...

Here's the finished product. Nothing fancy. But it makes the room feel more "done" and is something interesting to look at for Nola as she falls asleep. It's directly across the room from her bed. Oh, yeah, ignore the pile of clothes in the corner. That's real life, baby.

Is it a little bit crooked?

6 comments:

  1. Well, this is adorable, and you are amazing. Don't be surprised if Nola starts reciting her ABC's soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute. are those charlie harper cards?! i love his designs.
    this reminds me of how i used to hang the kids artwork on the wall (since we rented I didn't want to put too many holes in the wall)...ribbon strung across a couple nails and clothes pins holding the artwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I love the flash cards and the possibility of hanging anything you want from the ribbon with clothes pins. Brilliant. I also love the pile of clothes in the corner. We all have corners like that, and I appreciate that you include it instead of trying to hide it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing in the boys' room when we lived at the apartments and they were newborns. Sad to say, I haven't gotten it up since we moved to the house and it's been well over a year. You've inspired me to get it done on Saturday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love it.
    And ... that's real life WITH a baby, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I like the idea of hanging artwork on the ribbons in their room also! My boys have too much to hang on the fridge sometimes!

    ReplyDelete