Monday, September 24, 2012

Random Life Updates

Switching Squeeze (she turns two in November) to her big girl bed has been crazy easy. I'm kind of bummed because I have no great stories to tell. We had one day of training her, and have had zero problems since. I was nervous it may be more difficult since the girls share a room. But Squiggle (she turns four in November) has been really good about it, as well. The first few nights we would occasionally hear Squiggle say to Squeeze, "Get back in bed." Pretty cute.

Wondering how we did during our first 8 weeks of home school? Ummmmm...there were some things that worked and some things that didn't. Basically, if I didn't plan the week on Sunday night, then we didn't end up doing any purposeful activities. Plan. Plan. Plan. That was my number one lesson learned through failure. I had multiple reminders on my phone to do Bible each morning, Spanish class every afternoon, and read a book to Nola every afternoon. But I didn't have a plan for any of those things so I never did them. On the weeks I made plans, though, we always did them. That surprised me a little. Everyone is different. I learned that for me planning=success.

So what worked? Scripture memorization. Squiggle caught on so quickly to memorization. It's easier to pull of than I thought, too. All we had to do was recite the verse together about three times a day. We would say it at eating times, in the car, before bed, etc. Squiggle memorized Psalm 19:1 and John 3:16. She could've done more if I'd PLANNED. :) Toward the end of the eight weeks we just kept reciting the ones she'd learned to commit them more solidly to her memory. Scripture memorization was easy to do while doing things that were already in our routine. I think that's why it worked so well.

We love our zoo!

Best dad ever.
A snuggly day for Squeeze.


In Chicago with my sister, Serenity.

We have already started our next eight week session, and I'm already behind. We just came off two very busy weekends and I'm in lay low mode. I have to pull myself together or we'll never get anything done. Things I plan to focus on are Spanish lessons, and planning plenty of quiet time activities for Squiggle's afternoon rest time. Much to my chagrin, she does not take an afternoon nap. It's obvious she needs down time, though. Watching tv or movies is an easy solution, but I'm not sure it's actually helping her little brain rest. Any quiet time ideas for me?

We are still waiting for a referral from foster care. I pray for our baby often, but do not feel frantic about getting the baby here. I feel quite peaceful that God is going to work everything together. We are enjoying the season with just Squeeze and Squiggle, and trusting God's timing.

I started running. Stop laughing. I found a Couch to 5K running plan on Pinterest and am following that. I am actually really enjoying it. I feel great on the days I go for a run. I am hoping that once I complete the entire 10 week training program I will have earned myself a cute runner girl outfit. *Update. I got sick halfway through the ten weeks and stopped running. But I am still planning on jumping in again! I loved it so much. For real.

My husband is still a great dad. And looks hot when he plays the bass. He is still helping friends make indie short films, and other various video projects.

Overall, we are loving our life. How's yours?

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I love my life too. For quiet time ideas, you should definitely find things she can do with yarn or soft material. Remember those cardboard pictures you could buy where you "sew" yarn into the holes to complete the picture? Or I bet she could learn to crochet a chain - it's not hard, Drew loves it. Maybe a felt board. She could tell stories with shapes and animals and stuff made from felt. ("This comment has been removed" is bc I thought the comment posted twice.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw the other day on Pinterest a whole thing of activities to do with those soft little pom poms. Check it out. :)

    And yes, loving my life. I had a freak out moment yesterday where I realized my boys are growing up FAST! They entertain and amaze me every day. I'm really going to have to work on something to fill that gap when they're gone. Hire people to say funny things to me? I don't know. Something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly! Hire people to say funny things to me? You are a riot.

    I'm so proud of you for running, Charity. Oh, and for being such a terrific mother to these sweet girls.

    As for loving life, I am. And I've had a revelation about that today. But I'm not posting it here because I'm going to blog about it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes. Planning is my best friend. And although I have gotten better acquainted with Winging It, he is not my best friend. :)
    I'm reading a book by Heidi St. John (google the Busy Homeschool Mom -- I love her), and she says that life has seasons, and your homeschooling will need to reflect those seasons so that everyone stays sane. Such a freeing statement.

    Good for you, running! I'm trying to get into the swing of working out. Again. Sigh. I just keep reminding myself that it IS one of my goals . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ME TOO. If I don't plan, it doesn't happen! But, I did just put a little "Daily Schedule" on my new fancy smart phone (you know, the kind that says "wake up, get dressed, eat b-fast, brush teeth, story time, etc...) so I leave it open in the mornings particularly. It seems that if I can stick to the plan in the morning I'm more motivated to go all the way with it.

    I, too, have been running again. I've wanted to do Couch to 5k for a couple of years now and just started it this week :) I gained ten pounds after all the craziness with Levi so I NEED to do this! Here's to a strong finish for both of us!

    ReplyDelete