Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Planning Ahead



Remember when I planned just one activity for each daughter, for every day, that one week? That was such a great idea. With not so great follow through. But I'm doing it again! Yesiree! And this time we will do it more than one week. Stop laughing. I'm thinking at least two. Actually, my goal is eight weeks of consistent, purposeful activity for Squiggle and Squeeze. Again, your giggles are not helpful.

My husband and I are leaning towards home schooling Squiggle for kindergarten. She is still three years out from that time, so we are still mulling things over. I thought preschool would be a great time to give it a try and see if it's something I enjoy, or hate. So I scheduled ourselves a school year from the beginning of July until the very end of April. (I read somewhere that if you live in a place that is HOT in the summertime, you should schedule your big summer break in Spring instead. Genius.) I planned it with a pattern of 8 weeks on, one week off. So it's like a year round school schedule, with a short summer break. Remember, this is all just one big test run.

I wrote down some goals I have for Squiggle and Squeeze this year. Things like recognizing the alphabet for Squiggle and naming colors for Squeeze. I also have some broader goals like scripture memorization for Squiggle, and reading the Jesus Storybook Bible to them both in the mornings. Spanish lessons are another big goal I have. Both girls are at a perfect stage for absorbing a second language and I want to jump on that.

I am planning one week at a time so I don't get too ahead of myself. I'm just using Google calendar to plan things. I just browse Pinterest and my favorite Mom blogs, consult my list of goals for the girls, and just pick some activities. I actually really like the planning part. Then I have a lesson planner to write down what we actually did each day. I know I need to keep some sort of records when we are in real school, so I thought this might be a good method to try out.

I'm nerding out about the whole thing, really. I hope I stick with it. At least for the first 8 weeks. I'm glad I have this time to try home school out without the pressure that my girls need to ACTUALLY be learning something. Like, important dates from the Revolutionary War. At the same time, I realize this won't be an entirely accurate picture of what it would be like to home school my girls in the future. But it will be a nice test of how well I can follow through and be consistent.

Wish me luck!

8 comments:

  1. You'll do great. I used to say that I could never homeschool my kids because I would kill them. That's because I thought home school had to be like "real" school where I would have to lecture, lay down the law, force them to sit still most of the day, etc. Now I realize homeschooling is more about letting each kid learn how they learn best and then let them lead the process. The teacher/parent provides the tools and helps where needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having to sit still for so long is a definite PLUS of home school!

      Delete
  2. Good luck!

    PS - I just read your sister's book and kinda feel like I know your family a little now... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'd say that's a compliment to good writing, wouldn't you?! I need to read her book again. I rushed through it the first time just trying to get to all the parts that had me in it! Yeah, I'm the self-centered youngest child. :)

      Delete
  3. Well, you know I wish you good luck! ;) I love homeschooling and get completely nerdy about it, too. And I think it's fine if you -- by chance -- feel unsatisfied at the end of this venture. I felt that way a lot during Natalie's kindergarten year (note to self: do not attempt to homeschool for the first time ever and have a baby two months later. It messes with the emotions so). But, all the stuff they say about "more is caught than taught" and "you can always go over it again, they'll get it eventually" turned out to be totally true in our case. And I can't wait for 2nd grade this year. :)

    I don't think I could ever take our summer break in the spring for 2 reasons. One (and this is really the kicker), *I* know when summer break should be, and I can't get over it. :) Two, her friends have summer off, and she's old enough for sleep-overs and such, when it's really convenient to not have school the next day. But maybe if you start off like this, you'll get in a groove and love it. You can always work school out differently on sleep-over days. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such helpful thoughts! I totally see what you're saying about summer break. And I should prepare myself for babies interrupting school, too! Who knows what life will bring...

      Delete
  4. Haha! I'm SO with you on this one! I want to be able to homeschool my boys so badly, but I'm so worried that I won't have the follow through. With that, I was thinking.... if you DO stick with it, you should just send me your lesson plans, then I'll have all the hard work done for me :)Ha!

    PS We love love LOVE the Jesus Storybook Bible!! We read it as a family every night before bed, are on our 4th read through and are still not tired of it. We actually need a new one as ours is falling apart :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At two weeks in, I'm definitely thinking I'll need an open-and-go curriculum for actual school! My activities need a method to their madness.

      Delete