Monday, October 18, 2010

Nesting in Action!

I have been so inspired lately by my frequent trips to design blogs. I finally put my dreaming into action!

Ryan's parents are buying us a new crib for this baby. Yippee! Nola's crib was a much appreciated hand me down. But it had seen better days and had a failing drop side on it. The new crib is the Baby Mod Olivia from Wal-Mart. It's very modern looking and I love it. Our changing table is kind of old school and doesn't really match the new crib's style. But we did use it all the time with Nola, so I knew we wanted to keep it. I found this tid bit of advice on one of my favorite design blogs (I think it was Ohdeedoh). If you have a piece of furniture that doesn't "match" all the others, painting it a different color than the other furniture makes it a nice pop of color as if it were a piece of art. I happened to have a can of blue spray paint in the garage so out it came!

And, yes, I wore a mask.

I hesitated to paint it blue because that's so traditionally "boy", and we don't know weather I'm going to pop out a boy or a girl. (And the leaning from the technician was girl.) But I finally decided that blue is pretty, and boy's can't have it all to themselves.

Here's the before and after of the changing table. I am hoping to have the nursery all done before the baby comes, and I will post pictures of it all done up and complete.


What do you think? Blue can be for girls, too, right?

9 comments:

  1. Blue can totally be for girls! Think blue birds and blue bonnets and blue satin sashes. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say yes, I love blue! I hate the color stereotypes! :) Good for you for breaking them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! You go girl, and take back the blue!!! Can't wait to see the nursery. And the sweetheart nestled in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have a girl and it doesn't feel girly enough, could you accent it with something to make it look more girly? Maybe with some butterflies or flowers or something. I'm not very good with decorating in general, but I would think if you are not satisfied with it as it is (if your baby is a girl), that it might be easy to add a little something to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blue confidence! I think I've heard that back in the day the traditional color for girls was blue. Angela, that is a great idea! I could hand some girly blue flowers about it or something...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake's room was blue - and you know I was sort of hoping girl at that time. If you pick the right blue - which you so did - it's really neutral and can go either way so easily. I love this idea so much, and I think it made all the difference to paint it! Kind of crazy really what a difference that pop of color made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue can be for anyone that loves blue; it looks great.

    http://youcanfacetodaybecausehelives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I agree with Serenity. This color of blue can definitely be for girls, too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a blue room when I was a little girl and LOVED it! The changing table looks great! Can't wait to see pictures of the whole room!

    Oh, and .... I love the mask picture!

    ReplyDelete