Friday, July 24, 2009

Yep, we're still doing it...


Warning: This post is a little graphic and a hair preachy.

In case you thought I would give up by now on this new, crazy, parenting technique...Nope. We're still going. Why? Because it honestly feels so natural and normal now. We went out to dinner recently and I noticed that she needed to go to the bathroom. So I swept her up quickly and off we went. I held her over the potty and she had a nice big poo. Later, while we were shopping, I needed to use the ladies room so I offered to let her go, too. After I was finished, I held her over the potty and she had a nice little pee.

We have passed the off ramps and there's no going back now. Now that Nola knows she can use the potty when she needs to poo, it feels a little strange of me to make her go in her pants. Can you imagine telling your newly potty trained three year old, "I'm sorry, but I don't have time to take you to a bathroom. Can you just poop your underwear?" I think we'd all agree that would be an unfortunate situation for all involved.

At this point, pee is still a different story. She pees WAAAAAY too much for me to get her to a potty every time, but little by little I've noticed her holding it longer. Today we went grocery shopping. She peed in her car potty before we went in, we shopped for about forty five minutes, and then she peed when we got back to the car. She also holds it more when she is being held, riding in her car seat, and just generally sitting up or standing. She pees the most when we are at home letting her play on the floor on her belly. I swear she pees every five minutes when we stay home all day. Any ideas why that would be?...

Remember, anyone can do this. I have no superpowers. I guess I'm just really into pretending I live in a third world country!

8 comments:

  1. Hurray for Nola! (But mostly for you, since you are the one doing all the work.) I'm pretty sure Mom told me once that Grandpa Grubbs was night-time potty trained by six months old. He would wiggle and Granny would take him to the chamber pot! So you are either pretending to live in a third world country or about a hundred years ago! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree -- you're too far in, you have to keep it up now. But hurray for you! I think it's impressive and wonderful. Just wait until she gets a little older and can hold her pee for hours -- you'll think it's amazing (or at least, I did when I didn't have to take Natalie every half an hour anymore). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Charity. And aren't those the cutest little training pants you ever did see?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity --
    Where did you get the underwear for Nola? My youngest is a tiny two-year-old, and his XS Potty Scotty training pants seem to be falling off him more frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I didn't find it preachy at all. I think it's so cool that you're so about HER. A day care probably wouldn't help you out with this program. And the peeing every 5 minutes I suppose is some normal infant thing, but it sure reminds me of her Aunt Serenity on a road trip. (Although I'm much better now.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela, the undies in the picture are Baby Misha training pants that I bought from the online store at diaperfreebaby.org theecstore.com also has some good options for tiny underwear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Charity -- I actually looked at theecstore.com when I was shopping for training pants, but haven't thought about it recently for underwear. Silly me! Have you tried any of the underwear from theecstore.com? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a pair of Tiny Undies from the ec store, and they are much too big for a nine month old, but I think may work really well when she's around twelve months.

    ReplyDelete